At the end of 2022, the long-awaited Travis County Civil and Family Courts Facility opened its doors. After a decade in the making, the facility opened right at the time when existing space was running thin at the nearby Herman Marion Sweatt Travis County Courthouse. Winstead represented Travis County in this public-private partnership for the procurement, financing, and development of the facility.
The facility includes:
- Twenty-five courtrooms, which includes fifteen jury courtrooms
- Child Protective Services courtroom
- Special proceedings courtroom
- Two State of Texas Attorney General child support hearing rooms.
- Law Library
- Gathering spaces for attorney-client conferences
- Four-level underground parking garage with 400 spaces
The Courthouse was awarded the Commercial Real Estate Deal of the Year for 2020 by the Austin Business Journal. The construction financing for the project came from traditional bank financing, supported by an installment purchase contract with the county.
The 448,000 sq. ft. courthouse is located in the heart of downtown Austin. This project highlights Winstead’s experience in navigating the unique procurement, construction, and finance aspects of public-private partnerships.